Thursday, November 1, 2012

GOTR Breakfast: Inspiration via Alison Delgado

A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to attend the Empowering Girls Breakfast for Girls on the Run.

The speaker was Alison Delgado. You can read her whole store here, but to say she is an inspiration, is a major understatement.

She spoke about how much running has meant to her since she was in middle school and all of the lessons she has learned from running, mostly without realizing it at the time.
Via
And then she told her story. It gave me goosebumps when I read it in the Cincinnati Enquirer and again in Runner's World, but to hear it in person was even more chilling and inspiring.

To make a long story short, Alison was hit by a car while cycling in 2010. Her husband was the emergency physician on the helicopter that transported her to University hospital after her accident. 
Via
In 2012 Alison completed the Flying Pig Marathon in a time that was faster than when she had won it in 2005.

Wow.

And I was upset when I broke my foot a couple of years ago. I've found myself thinking of her story on my runs lately. How would I have handled such a traumatic accident? If she can comeback from physical injury, I can comeback too. 

Alison's story might just help me get through my next 26.2. Which is WAY closer than I want to admit.

No comments:

Post a Comment