Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Inspiration

I finally finished this book last night. It was gifted to me by very good friends almost a year ago. I enjoyed the book so much, but didn't want to finish it too quickly. I read it in small pieces to savor the inspiring story as long as possible. I loved having a book to read when I felt my training was too hard, I didn't want to work out, or felt like becoming a triathlete wasn't for me.

When Jason Lester was twelve years old he was hit by a car while riding his bike. He lost the use of his right arm due to the accident. He overcame the odds and has now completed over 70 triathlons, biathlons, marathons, Ironmans and Ultramans.

Ultramans?

I didn't even know these existed until I started reading this book. An ultraman is a 6.2 mile swim, 261.4 mile bike, and 52.4 mile run. What??!!!

He is truly and inspiration (and probably a little bit crazy!). I have a hard enough time swimming with 2 good arms! His legs have to make up for his arm during the swim while most triathlete's legs are fairly fresh coming out of the swim. On the bike he has to stop to drink and refill his bottles since he can only use one arm. Then a miracle happens. I'm not going to tell you what it is though!

This book helps put things in perspective. When I'm having a hard time with a work out I try to think about Jason - his persistence, refusal to give up, and overcoming 20 broken bones to become an amazing elite endurance athlete.

No comments:

Post a Comment