Sunday, February 20, 2011

Run. Bike. Swim. Nap.


I did a triathlon.        

And I am still alive and breathing!

I arrived at Lifetime Fitness an hour before my wave started. I just wanted to check out the lay of the land and make sure I had plenty of time to get ready. Of course this also meant plenty of time to freak out. I wanted to see the swim start and see how some of the other (ahem) triathletes (!) were doing. Basically I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be the worst swimmer. The majority were rocking the freestyle pretty well, but there was a fair amount of breast stroke, some back stroke and even some walking going on. This made my heart stop racing a tiny bit. 

I knew Maureen (or Mrs. Mojo) was going to try to get in my wave, but I didn't know if she had. I saw Mr. Mojo who was working at the tri and he assured me Maureen would arrive soon. It was nice to have someone to help calm the nerves. Since everyone had to share lanes we shared so at least we would know who we were kicking or getting kicked by. 

The set up for the indoor triathlon is a 10 minute swim, 30 minute bike in a spinning studio, and 20 minutes on the treadmill. We had 10 minutes between the swim and bike to get dried off changed, and up the stairs to the studio. The another 5 minutes between the bike and run. Honestly, my worst fear was slipping on the wet floor in the locker room or pool deck and cracking my head open. Or flying off the back of the treadmill at the end Biggest Loser style because I have jell-o legs. That is totally something that would happen to me.

It all went pretty smoothly. I didn't drown. I didn't crack my head open. I didn't fly off the back of the treadmill. I would say it was a success! I'm pretty sure I did not set any world records. But I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment