Saturday, February 5, 2011

Hansel and Gretel

Another Saturday with less than ideal running weather, but I figure the more I can take during training, the more I can handle on race day!

A nice mixture of rain, sleet, hail and snow was coming down for most of the 11.25 miles I completed. The first 5 I ran with Kelly. Hilly. Wet. Slippery. Hard. Then something happened for the next 6 that I can't explain. I don't know if it was less slick or I gained confidence in my stride, but I was feeling good. After some prodding from Kelly I went ahead and took off. 


Then I found myself alone. Luckily I had my mangled, wet piece of paper with directions on it, but I'm still very unfamiliar with the roads in the area. I tried to read the paper while running and not slip on the rainsleetsnow covered roads. Then I saw them. Footprints! Footprints in snow are to this directionally-challenged-not-going-to-admit-I'm-lost-runner what bread crumbs were to Hansel and Gretel. Then I knew I had to leave more footprints for Kelly because she didn't have written directions like I did.


Kelly and I both made it back safely. I ran the last 6 miles all under 8:30 pace and at least  half of those miles at 7:54 pace. That's a pretty good pace for me - especially for the end of a long hard run. I couldn't help but feel proud and excited. I was happy I had worn my Garmin today!


We had a nice surprise from the Brooks rep today at the store - pancakes! I was one happy girl after changing out of my soaked running clothes with oatmeal in one hand and a pancake in the other!

No comments:

Post a Comment