Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Heat Emergency and Morning Swims

Yesterday I did what any normal girl does...get my hair done and then go straight out for a run. For some reason Ben and I decided to actually do something smart running-wise for a change, so we waited til after 8 to get our run since we were under a heat emergency and it was nearly 100 degrees. My original plan was to run, take a quick shower then get my hair done, but oh well! At least my hair looked pretty in it's ponytail for the first 5 minutes until it was soaked with sweat. We had a great run even though it was so hot - we kept it to 5 miles and only mildly hilly.

This morning was our first morning master's swim team practice for the summer. We are practicing from 6:30-7:30 so this means going into work later than normal. I got the boss's o.k. for this, but I still don't like it too much. I tried to put some extra time in Monday and Tuesday so I wouldn't have to stay late today. I got to the gym, put my bag and purse in my locker and headed to the aquatic area. No one was there. My friend Diana came out of the locker room and we headed to get our buoys, kick boards and flippers. Then she spotted them. They were outside!

Outside! The water will be freezing!

But it wasn't. It was so peaceful. The pool area is so pretty - and quiet with just us in the water. The sun was rising and casting a bright pink glow that slowly turned to orange. It was beautiful. 

I felt so calm in the water today. I needed a good practice and the confidence boost of feeling at ease in the water.

It was by no means an easy workout though"
Warm up: 50 freestyle, 50 kick, 50 pull, 50 freestyle
Drills: 100 zipper, 100 catch up, 100 pull
4 x 75 consisting of 25 kick right, 25 kick left, 25 freestyle
200 freestyle

There was more after that, but that is as far as I got. One day my goal will be to finish a whole work out. Right now I'm still just happy not drowning. And feeling calm in the pool was quite the win for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment