Saturday, May 28, 2011

Track Work Out Thursday

I am really attempting to train correctly for whatever fall marathon I decide to grace with my presence, so that means speed work once a week!
Thursday night I was heading to the track - it was clear and gorgeous even though the fine weathermen had forecasted a good chance of storms all afternoon. I was at an intersection where I could turn right for the track or left for the gym and I saw it - lightening!
I was so mad, but then realized I had forgotten my Garmin anyway. It's slightly difficult to do mile repeats at a certain pace without a watch, so off to the gym I went.

I despise the treadmill. I don't think it really likes me either. But we attempted to make up, and I went for it.

My workout:
1 mile warm up
3 x 1600 (mile) at 8:03 pace with 800 (half mile) recovery in between
1 mile cool down

I did my warm up at 9:00 pace then my first mile repeat at 8:00. This is when I realized I just did a 5k at a 7:30 pace, so what kind of speed work out is this? I tried to stick to the plan.

But I got bored.

I ended up doing the second mile repeat around 7:50 and the third just under 7:30. The cool down was super boring for me so I finished the last half mile at a 6:30 pace. It wasn't much of a cool down, but at least I finished sooner than I would have if I had followed the plan.  It wasn't an easy work out, but not really the type of work out I had hoped for it to be either. But at least I did it!
Sorry for the horribly blurry pic, that is what happens when I take a picture with my phone after being on a treadmill. And I still feel like I am on the treadmill. I was happy with completing 6 miles, although despite this photographic evidence, it took me longer than 35 seconds. I think it was around 51 minutes in reality.

This morning I woke up extremely dizzy so I decided to do my run tomorrow morning instead. I did make it to barbell class this morning. Six. Minutes. Lunges. My lower half might fall off at some point during the day today!

Enjoy your long Memorial Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment