Saturday, July 23, 2011

Back at it

Will the heat advisories ever end? Not that I'm complaining. I try not to complain about running in the heat, the cold, the rain. I'm a runner - it's what I do. It's what I love.

I took 2 weeks off from all exercise (minus surfing and walking on the beach). Mostly unintentionally. Today in the 84 degree heat at 8:00 (heat index of 92) I went for my first run. I realized just how much I missed it and how much I need it.

I didn't get the miles in that I intended to - if I had run at 6:30 like I had my alarm set for I would have had several more miles left in me - but today was still a victory. My 5K split was 7 minutes slower than a normal run for me, but I didn't care.

Every run is about something different. A slow, not-so-long long run, in the heat is exactly what the doctor ordered for me. Exactly what I needed.

Hopefully I'll get in a swim today or tomorrow as well. Funny story about swim practice this week for another time...

Now I'm off to make cake pops to celebrate the arrival of my favorite family from Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment